ILACHE Leadership Institute
PREPARING LATIN@ LEADERS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION.
The ILACHE Leadership Institute (ILI) has as its main goal to prepare Latin@s to become more effective leaders in colleges, communities and the professions.
ILI’s mission is to promote professional growth and prepare Latino leaders to become effective community builders and strong advocates for higher education and beyond
The Illinois Latino Council on Higher Education Leadership Institute (ILI) provides seminars throughout ten months of the academic year to promote professional growth and prepare Latino leaders to become strong community builders in higher education and beyond. The seminars will begin on September 2018 and end in June 2018. Participants will be required to attend monthly Saturday seminars from 9am-2pm for 10 months. The seminars include a range of topics related to Latino policy, advocacy and skills necessary for Latinos in any leadership position. The program will admit a maximum of 15 professionals in its first cohort. The application process will be competitive. Professionals admitted to the program will be required to attend all seminars and meet with a designated mentee selected from the undergraduate student track. The ILI leadership program incorporates a two-tiered model that includes active organizing in the higher education community. Professionals are required to attend all sessions and volunteer at the ILACHE Annual Conference.
· Increase your understanding of the higher education system to become a better advocate
· Effectively navigate one’s work environment while remaining ethically rooted
· Develop cultural competency skills
· Share experiences that can facilitate political empowerment
Understand the role of Latino professional organizations such as
ILACHE and increase your integration
into its structure and organizational initiatives to advance a collective social justice agenda
Have an understanding of ILACHE’s structure and organization and
actively participate and contribute to
· Must have at least 3 years of experience working in a higher education setting
· Must demonstrate commitment to working in the Latino community
· Must hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
· Must have proven leadership in higher education
· Attend all 10 monthly seminars (Saturdays 9am-2pm)
· Meet with designated mentor
· Complete all assignments prior to each session
· Enrich your institutional or professional leadership through work on a community building project
· Become an active ILACHE member
September through June (one session a month – ten sessions); Time: 9am-2pm
$500 per person
Northeastern Illinois University – El Centro 3390 N. Avondale Ave Chicago, IL 60618
Northeastern Illinois University
· Must submit a complete ILACHE Leadership Application.
· The ILI Committee will review all applications and notify applicants by June 30th.